Ending a marriage

Ending a marriage

You may have heard the terms decree absolute and decree nisi.

You can apply for a decree nisi if your husband or wife does not defend your divorce petition. The decree nisi is a document that says that the court does not see any reason why you cannot divorce.

The decree absolute is the legal document that ends your marriage. You need to wait at least 43 days (6 weeks and 1 day) after the date of the decree nisi before you can apply for a decree absolute.

It is important to apply for a decree absolute within 12 months of getting the decree nisi. Otherwise, the delays will have to be explained to the court.

[You can read more at the GOV.UK website or ask us for more information or advice.]( https://www.gov.uk/get-a-divorce)